As any half-decent taxidermist will tell you, there’s more than one way to skin a cat.
And so it is with Skype for Business. The clever bit is determining the best method to use when faced with a given challenge. Occasionally you’ll encounter a complicated job-sharing or multiple-hop call distribution scenario that doesn’t fit the basic user config parameters of Team Calling or Delegates. We usually tend to reach into the “kit”-bag (do you like what I did there?) and whip out a quick Response Group if we need a basic IVR, some time-of-day automation, or the sorts of call distribution and overflow that the RGS can deliver.
Another neat solution is to create a “dummy” user in AD and have it permanently “Team Calling” perhaps two users sharing the same role. During the day the calls go to which-ever of the two is signed in, and after hours or any time neither is in, the calls automatically route to the shared voicemail box.
If someone leaves and you want to “piggyback” their number on yours, a simple called number transformation rule in your SBC will usually suffice.
Continue reading ‘VVX can’t call SfB Unassigned Numbers’ »
I’ve long been a fan of the “Easy Config Wizard” in Sonus’ SBC 1k, 2k and now SWe Lite devices. With very few exceptions, all of my SBCs are deployed from scratch using it.
If you’re not familiar with it, it presents you with a few basic questions and when you click Finish it sets up a mostly working SBC for you, with SIP Server tables, Signaling Groups & some basic transformation tables. Just add some certs (and credentials if your SIP carrier wants them) and you’re online between Lync or SfB & your carrier in no time:
Continue reading ‘Default Sonus SBC cause codes “protect” against re-routing’ »
It’s been 3 weeks since our last update to the Office 2013-based Lync/SfB client. Today we go from 15.0.4945.1000 to 15.0.4953.1000, aka Kb 4011046.
A handful of items are addressed in this update:
Kb 4035431 “Call forwarding settings failed” dialog occurs after you sign out Skype for Business 2015 (Lync 2013) if RCC is enabled
Kb 4035430 Switch between “Compact View” and “Content View” does not work in Skype for Business 2015 (Lync 2013)
Kb 4035429 Improves join launcher when you join a Skype meeting through a meeting link in Skype for Business 2015 (Lync 2013)
Kb 4035428 Updates factory image version number for Lync Room System devices in Skype for Business 2015 (Lync 2013)
Kb 4035427 Security issues when trying to connect to the “skypeforbusiness.us” domain in Skype for Business 2015 (Lync 2013)
Kb 4035426 Unread messages in persistent chat rooms are marked as read when you click IM conversation tabs in Skype for Business 2015 (Lync 2013)
Kb 4035425 “MAPI unavailable” error for MAPI connection in Skype for Business 2015 (Lync 2013)
Kb 4035424 Several seconds delay on an incoming instant message toast in Skype for Business 2015 (Lync 2013)
What’s New / Changed
Continue reading ‘Lync 2013 / SfB 2015 Client Update – August 2017’ »
This July update takes the server to 5.0.8308.992 from March’s 5.0.8308.987. This time ’round 6 components receive an update – and its mysteries have me VERY curious…
- Kb 4034279 Enables the “Move-CsMeetingRoom” cmdlet to move a meeting room from on-premises to Online in Lync Server 2013
- Kb 4023333 Peer to peer application sharing is available in Skype for Business on Mac in a Lync Server 2013 environment
- Kb 4023332 Delegate can pick up Peer to Peer call on behalf of delegator now in a Lync server 2013 environment
- Kb 4023331 Improves Contact Management in Skype for Business on Mac in a Lync server 2013 environment
- Kb 4023330 Enables you to manage delegates and set up simultaneous ring feature in a Lync Server 2013 environment
- Kb 4023329 Enables you to subscribe presence for contacts in contact lists in Lync Server 2013
- Kb 4023328 Introduces new Application Programming Interface (API) to manage contacts and groups on Mac in Lync server 2013
- Kb 4023327 Adds “CsHybridApplicationEndpoint” cmdlets to manage cloud voice or bot applications in Lync Server 2013
- Kb 4023326 PSTN call is dropped when it’s put on hold by a PSTN callee in Lync Server 2013
- Kb 4023323 Event ID 20003 is logged and UCWA may crash in Lync Server 2013
- Kb 4023322 Event ID 53106 “Unable to save message” is logged in Lync Server 2013 Persistent Chat Compliance Server
- Kb 4023320 “Your chatroom access may be limited due to an outage” error when you add or remove users in Lync Server 2013
- Kb 4023319 Incorrect caller ID is sent when admin makes an outgoing call on behalf of a manager in Lync Server 2013
There are a few bits of interest here. Firstly, one new P$ commandlet and the expected verb variations:
(We saw these appear in SfB CU5 back in May so it’s no great surprise to see them back-ported to Lync now).
This one particularly took my fancy so I thought I’d experiment some more:
Kb 4023332 Delegate can pick up Peer to Peer call on behalf of delegator now in a Lync server 2013 environment
Unfortunately my tinkering here amounted to nought, so I’ve polled my MS contacts and MVP peers to see if anyone knows what’s going on. Stay tuned…
Continue reading ‘Lync 2013 Server Update – July 2017’ »
It’s been 3 weeks since our last update to the Office 2013-based Lync/SfB client. Today we go from 15.0.4933.1000 to … 15.0.4933.1000 – although the article (kb3213574) and other evidence – see below – confirms it’s 15.0.4945.1000.
This one contains a solo update:
Kb 4032344 Low Internet Explorer performance when Skype for Business 2015 add-in for Internet Explorer (OCHelper.dll) is enabled.
What’s New / Changed
You might think this update hasn’t worked, but it’s just not playing by the usual rules.
Help / About doesn’t show it and it’s not revealing itself to Get-CsConnections either.
It is however all good – it’s just only updated the Browser Helper Add-on – and you’ll find it in IE / Settings / Manage add-ons. (See below).
Continue reading ‘Lync 2013 / SfB 2015 Client Update – July 2017’ »
TLDR: I think it’s broken – or as James Arber implied on Twitter, it might have made it out the gate prematurely.
My suggestion: Do not install this version!
Out of the blue recently Microsoft updated the Skype for Business 2015 Debugging Tools version from 6.0.9319.73 to the interestingly-named (well, numbered) 7.0.1678.1.1.
Before you can install it you’ll need to uninstall the previous version:
Continue reading ‘ClsLogger.EXE Crashes with Unhandled Exception’ »
It’s been 3 months since our last security update to the Office 2013-based Lync/SfB client, and five weeks since this one. Today we go from 15.0.4927.1000 to 15.0.4933.1000. It addresses a risk of remote code execution.
Kb 3191939: This security update resolves vulnerabilities in Microsoft Office that could allow remote code execution if a user opens a specially crafted Office file. To learn more about these vulnerabilities, see Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2017-0283.
This security update [also] contains improvements and fixes:
- Kb 4023594 Can’t upload a file in a persistent chat room by selecting the “send” button in Skype for Business 2015 (Lync 2013)
- Kb 4023595 Skype for Business 2015 (Lync 2013) crashes when you sign in to the client
- Kb 4023597 Update to join a conference meeting without an audio device in Skype for Business 2015 (Lync 2013)
Continue reading ‘Lync 2013 / SfB 2015 Client Security Update – June 2017’ »
You’ve probably seen this message before and there are a range of potential causes for it.
In this case I battled with this one for longer than I would like to have before stumbling upon Ken Lasko’s “Meet URL Gives 404 error” and the fix. Thank you Ken!!
Continue reading ‘We Couldn’t Find This Skype Meeting’ »
This May 2017 update takes the server from 6.0.9319.277 to 6.0.9319.281 & updates 8 components on my Standard Edition Front-End.
- Kb4020997 Skype for Business Server 2015 Front-End service may crash in Windows Server 2016
- Kb4020994 Event ID 36023 is consistently logged on Multiple Front-End servers in a Skype for Business Server 2015 environment that enables CAC
- Kb4020993 DTMF tone isn’t played when some DTMF packets are dropped in the network in Skype for Business Server 2015
- Kb4020991 Enables “move-csmeetingroom” cmdlet to move meeting room from on-premises to Online in Skype for Business Server 2015
- Kb4020987 The update to OcsMcu.msp can’t be applied when conferencing is disabled in Skype for Business Server 2015
- Kb4020986 Enables new CallerId Policy for PSTN calls in Skype for Business Server 2015
- Kb4020984 The ms-client-diagnostics header for application sharing scenario is not correctly formatted in Skype for Business Server 2015
- Kb4020983 “sorry, I didn’t get that…” GVA announcement is triggered by external audio sources in Skype for Business Server 2015
- Kb4019726 Call remains ringing on a PSTN phone when you click End Meeting in a Skype meeting in Skype for Business Server 2015
- Kb4019725 Event ID 44005 and 44008 are logged when you try to leave a voicemail in Skype for Business Server 2015
- Kb4019724 You cannot join Skype meeting after you perform a pool failover in Skype for Business Server 2015
- Kb4019723 Agents in a Response Group can’t receive call after you invoke pool failover in Skype for Business Server 2015
- Kb4019722 Event ID 30210 occurs when you try to leave voicemail in Skype for Business Server 2015
- Kb4015911 Pool failover fails when you have many conference directories in Skype for Business Server 2015
- Kb4015910 Event ID 53106 “Unable to Save Message” occurs in Skype for Business Server 2015 Persistent Chat Server
- Kb4015907 Update that enables simplified meeting join experience in Skype for Business Server 2015
- Kb4015904 Enables UCWA to populate “OTHER CONTACTS” and “FAVORITES” groups at first sign in to Skype for Business mobile app
- Kb4015902 Failed to start MatchMaking service and its dependencies if FIPS for RGS is enabled in Skype for Business Server 2015
- Kb4015901 Calls to RGS may fail after an in-place upgrade from Lync server 2013 to Skype for Business Server 2015
- Kb4015900 Enables “VoicemailOnBusy” ActionType to be set for Exchange Online users in Skype for Business Server 2015 Busy Options
- Kb4015899 “Busy Options” feature doesn’t check the second incoming call in Skype for Business Server 2015
- Kb4015898 RGS agents may stop receiving calls after you run the “Enable-CsTopology” cmdlet in Skype for Business Server 2015
- Kb4015893 Enables delegate management feature for Unified Communications Web API in Skype for Business Server 2015
Continue reading ‘SfB 2015 Server Update CU5 – May 2017’ »
Our May update to the Office 2013-based Lync/SfB client (Kb 3191876) follows last month’s update and takes us from 15.0.4919.1000 to 15.0.4927.1000.
This update fixes the following issues:
- Kb 4019641 Updates the meeting invitation to let mobile client join PSTN calls with one-tap in Skype for Business 2015 (Lync 2013)
- Kb 4019640 Hebrew words in instant messages are displayed in reverse order in Skype for Business 2015 (Lync 2013)
- Kb 4019639 Displays a message when you sign in Skype for Business 2015 (Lync 2013) without network connection
What’s New / Changed
Continue reading ‘Lync 2013 / SfB 2015 Client Update – May 2017’ »