This week’s Security Update seems to have touched a few items and of course the Office 2013-based Lync/SfB client is no exception. Our September update took us to 15.0.4963.1000 and today we jump to 15.0.4971.1000.
Kb 4011179: This security update resolves vulnerabilities in Microsoft Office that could allow remote code execution if a user opens a specially crafted Office file. To learn more about these vulnerabilities, see Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2017-11786.
This security update contains the following improvements and fixes:
- Kb 4042815 Improves the conference experience for active speaker video stream in VDIv2 in Skype for Business 2015 (Lync 2013)
- Kb 4042811 “The video preview won’t show” error occurs when you start a video call in Skype for Business 2015 (Lync 2013) in VDIv2
- Kb 4042814 Skype for Business 2015 (Lync 2013) sign-in fails when the client moves from internal to external Internet connection
- Kb 4042810 Duplicate working numbers for contacts are displayed on the call drop-down menu in Skype for Business 2015 (Lync 2013)
- Kb 4042812 Skype for Business 2015 (Lync 2013) doesn’t display who changed the whiteboard content in a meeting
- Kb 4042817 Skype for Business 2015 (Lync 2013) crashes when the computer resumes from sleep or hibernate mode
- Kb 4042809 A user’s department isn’t displayed on their contact card in Skype for Business 2015 (Lync 2013)
- Kb 4042813 Can’t automatically log on to Skype for Business 2015 (Lync 2013) that has the December 6, 2016, update installed
- Kb 4042816 Adds a new Show/Hide My Video button for VDIv2 users to minimize the self-view video in Skype for Business 2015
What’s New / Changed
It’s been a big year for pre-req updates, but if you’re current then you’re OK today.
If however your patching isn’t to current you’ll need to check you have *all* of these pre-req’s. The Office 2013 SP1 requirement still applies if you’re using Outlook 2010. (Lync 2013 in all of its flavours – e.g. Lync Basic – is still a component of Office 2013).
|Update for Office 2013 (KB3054853) (NOTE 1 BELOW)||1.0||9 June 2015|
|LyncHelpLoc (kb3191937)||1.0||22 May 2017|
|Microsoft Office 2013 Language Pack Service Pack 1 (KB2817427)||1.0||13 February 2014|
NOTE1: “You do not have to apply update KB3054853 if you applied the April 14, 2015, update (KB2889923) or the May 12, 2015, security update (KB3039779) for Lync 2013 (Skype for Business)”
This is the client fix itself:
I have all the pre-req’s already installed, had exited the client before we started & was not prompted for a reboot.
Before / After
|SfB 15.0.4963.1000 MSO 15.0.4719.1000||SfB 15.0.4971.1000 MSO 15.0.4719.1000|
12th October 2017: This is the initial post.