There are several places on the web that consolidate lots of Lync 2010 resources, but I’m yet to find one that seems to have everything I need to lay my hands on when I build a new Lync 2010. Here’s mine. I hope it’s of use to you. If you find any tools that you think are missing from this list, please let me know. (I’ll be editing this post regularly as updates are released).
I’m no longer regularly updating this page. Can we chat about a Skype for Business upgrade instead?
Lync 2010 Client Security update – August 2016
This update (Kb 3174301) takes the Lync 2010 client to 4.0.7577.4510.
This is the client fix itself:
This is the updated version of the Lync 2010 Attendee software:
Server Security Update – April 2016
Lync Phone Edition Update – December 2015
This update takes Phone Edition to 4.0.7577.4487 / 4488 & adds SHA-2 support. Read more about it here.
Download the relevant CAB files from here:
- Polycom CX500, 600 and CX3000 (4.0.7577.4487)
- Aastra 6721 and 6725 (4.0.7577.4487)
- HP 4110 and 4120 (4.0.7577.4487)
- Tanjay (4.0.7577.4494)
CU 6 – June 2012
(The rest of CU6 is here if you still want it)
- Hotfix Kb2842632 (December 2013 – 4.0.7577.4398)
- x64 & x86 (one installer suits both)
Official Microsoft bits
- The Microsoft Lync Connectivity Analyzer. This free-standing EXE will assess your deployment and let you know if it’s compliant/compatible with both the Lync Mobile client and the Lync Store App. (Updated to v 8308.582 January 2014)
- Mobility Service – the installer (7577.183 – Dec 2011)
- The Mobility Guide (March 2012)
- Group Chat Server (4.0.7577.4071 – CU5 – March 2012)
- BPA (4.0.7577.118 – February 2011)
- Lync Attendant (4.0.7577.0 – Dec 2010)
- Reskit (version 4.0.7577.197 – May 2012)
- The resource kit book – free to download
- The protocol workloads poster (Oct 2012)
- The documentation Help file (March 2012)
- Edge reference topologies. This particular image is tested in EVERY Lync exam you’ll ever sit!
- Anti-virus exclusion list
- Lync 2010 and 2013 Bandwidth Calculator
- Lync 2010 and 2013 – Call Quality Methodology poster (4 Feb 2014)
- Migrate OCS to Lync – TechNet landing page
- The new (Christmas 2012) combined Test Connectivity site for Lync and Exchange
Third-party tools and utils
- Batch file to set the GalDownloadInitialDelay to 0
- EHLO World’s fantastic “get-csconnections.ps1” script. Audit client versions, see who’s connected to what FE & more.
- Curtis Johnstone’s “MOCLogin”, now “The OCS & Lync Sign-In Troubleshooting Tool V3.0”
- Stumper’s “Find Lync Versions” – reports who’s patched and who’s not
- Notepad++. Essential for viewing logs from the UX2000, and has a great file comparison feature too!
- 7-zip. The only archiver you ever need. Opens ISOs & can split GIANT log files into manageable chunks
- Goldwave – brilliant audio editing software. You’ll need this to neaten your RGS and AA recordings or perhaps resample the customer-provided MOH file to a supported format. The best $50 you’ll spend for a while!
- Chad McGreanor’s walk-through on requesting a cert for TMG
- Event Zero’s “Big Boss” web-based app will generate a test call to you. Alternatively, try their Federation Tester
- Johan Veldhuis has created a great PowerShell-based GUI wrapper for SEFAUtil. It works for both the Lync 2010 and 2013 releases
- Chris Wright’s AD Photo Edit tool. Highly commended. It probably annoys the pants off the commercial software operations that such a great util can be had for free!
- Curtis Johnstone shows how to establish a remote powershell session.
Lync Blogs & related websites
My own posts
- MAdCaP.ps1 – a “script”, but actually presents a GUI for you to Manage Analog devices and Common area Phones!
- HIDnLync – adds shortcut keys to change your status or personal note. Interface with external hardware and use it to trigger a change in your Lync. For Lync 2010 and Lync 2013
- Elyza – a Lync implementation of Weizenbaum’s 1966 “ELIZA” + useful Lync test and demo tool
- Profiles for Lync v2 – bounce between multiple Lync accounts with a click of the mouse. For Lync 2010 and Lync 2013
- Script to list unused numbers
- Loading OCPE Updates.cab into Lync – since superceded by this script from the “Ehlo World” blog.